Artificial intelligence is the focus of an Italian strategy launched through public consultation by Mise.
From our point of view, this was the starting point to try to draw a picture that could highlight Italy’s position in the field and suggest other ideas to make sure that the strategy can make us part of the generators of a virtuous process in terms of progress. and not just spectators to whom a new way of using technology will necessarily be imposed in order to be competitive in the very near future.
So let’s see together first what the plan consisting of Artificial Intelligence consists of and in another post we consider some possible ideas to make our country one of the protagonists.
The plan fits into the wider context of the coordinated European artificial intelligence plan drawn up to ensure that the European Union can face and overcome competition from the United States and China.
The objectives set are these:
- increase public and private investments in AI and related technologies;
- enhance the ecosystem of research and innovation in the field of AI;
- support the adoption of AI-based digital technologies;
- strengthen the educational offer at every level, to bring AI to the service of the workforce;
- exploit the potential of the data economy, a real fuel for AI;
- consolidate the regulatory and ethical framework that governs the development of AI;
- promoting awareness and trust in AI among citizens;
- relaunch the public administration and make public policies more efficient;
- foster European and international cooperation for responsible and inclusive AI.
The key sectors have been identified in industry and manufacturing, agri-food, tourism and culture, energy infrastructures and networks, health and social security, smart cities and mobility, public administration.
A scenario that will be profoundly changed at the end of the COVID-19 emergency and that will make the realization of the project even more ambitious. At the present time there are countless unknowns to be resolved in order to understand if it will be possible in a reasonable time to make the most of the new technology.
A key point is certainly the research and identification of high quality profiles that can provide us with the tools and data to be able to achieve competitiveness and not just suffer it. This pivot is represented by professional figures such as research doctors who can deal with artificial intelligence products in industrial research laboratories.